Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Busy, busy, busy!!!

Well, I always thought that when the kids got older, that things would slow down some...boy was I wrong! It's actually a different kind of busy! And we even have one less kid in the house since our daughter moved away and has made a life for herself as a dental hygienist!

I've become so busy with life that sometimes I don't know whether or not I'm coming or going! I tend to have such a full schedule of things to do on a daily basis. I hardly ever have free time to myself. Sure I enjoy facebook and checking out my Fast Track forum but I don't take the time to read or go for walks or enjoy nature like I used to. I don't even have time to look after myself health wise although I have been going to a natureopathic doctor twice a week doing the NAET treatments. Not quite sure how that works but it does feel good to just relax for 15 minutes and listen to relaxation music. It's the only way I can do that...to physically remove myself from my home and go elsewhere to do this. Otherwise, I wouldn't.

I've been doing a tremendous amount of volunteer work with our church. I'm on the environment committee for our youth ministry program at our church. I get a description from week to week of what the environment or room is supposed to look like...and as soon as I read it, the ideas flow into my head. And I don't mean small ideas either...they usually are quite elaborate. I don't know any other way to work...and I usually don't like to downsize my ideas either! Depending on what the night is about, I can put together some pretty interesting things. The last one that we did, was on "Word"...which was about scripture and bible study...so I was supposed to make the room look like a library with a giant bible in the center of the room. Here are some pictures of the evening to give you an idea of what I created. Now this room is a large open room and I hang sheets up with clips to the suspended ceiling to divide up the room or make smaller rooms.....


I used rolls of brown paper to make the book cases and construction paper to make the books which worked out quite well...it really looked like a library. The giant bible was a box wrapped in brown paper and I used bristol board to make the cover and I just decorated it on the cover...I even added the ribbon bookmark to make it look authentic.


I thoroughly enjoy doing these things but it is time consuming and takes up a lot of my weekends. Right now, I'm finding it really hard to find a balance in my life. I work full time (40+ hours) and then come home and work on the volunteer stuff if I need to...and I also go to some appointments during the week and mass and adoration on Wednesdays and then on Fridays we usually have the teens come over to watch movies at our house. Usually, I finish up on Friday and Saturday what I don't have time to finish up during the week. So it's constantly hectic and busy in my life. I'd really like to figure out a way to find some sort of balance...but right now, I don't know how to do that!

Oh, and the musical is starting up again at my son's school...I like to volunteer to help out with costumes for that too! I know, I know, I'm crazy...but for me, it's really hard to say no to things I love to do! Plus, we (my husband and I) plan on throwing the kids a Masquerade Ball for Halloween this year. Last year, I turned the house into a haunted house and threw them all a Halloween party...they loved it. I enjoyed doing that for them! I enjoy the kids and right now, I feel that all this is temporary...once my son is done his last high school year...it will probably change once again! Life is about changes...is it not?

The only thing is...I've come to realize that my life is not my own but everyone elses! Trying to figure out how to balance it all has been the biggest challenge for me so far. I just keep taking it all one day at a time and one project at a time. So far, I'm barely surviving...I'm just hoping that I don't crash and burn!

Here's to finding balance!

No comments: